Once you have pressed your curds and removed the finished cheddar from the mold, your cheese is ready to be bandaged.
Follow the directions below and you will have a beautiful, bandaged cheddar to age!
1. Start by cutting 2 circles of muslin slightly bigger than the top of the cheese.
2. Sanitize and soak these in warm water, then spread evenly over the surface and smooth out from center to edge.
3. Next bandage the other end and repress for an hour or so at max pressure.
4. The side should now be finished in a similar manner to the top and put back to press overnight.
5. Upon removing from the press we have a cheddar wrapped in cloth and ready to age for the next 8-24 months.
6. It now goes to it's shelf in the cave at 55F.. 85% humidity to be turned once a day for the first 8-12 weeks.
7. After about 2-3 weeks the first natural molds will begin to grow and spread over time. At 2-3 months begin turning, only 2 times each week.
8. This mold will eventually dry off as the cheese moisture decreases leaving a rather rustic surface after 8-12 months.