By: Gianaclis Caldwell, 151pgs, paperback
The craft of home cheesemaking is exploding in popularity. Mastering Basic Cheesemaking provides
a complete hands-on guide to making cheese and other fermented dairy
products from scratch, geared toward helping the novice cheese maker to
develop the intuition and abilities to position them for success,
especially in the real world of the home kitchen.
well-illustrated, clearly written practical guide assumes no prior
experience on the part of the aspiring cheese maker. Topics include:
- Understanding your ingredients, tools and techniques
- Whipping up “instant cheeses” such as ricotta and paneer, while learning basic milk chemistry
- Progressing to fermented dairy products such as kefir, yogurt and sour cream
- Using bacteria and coagulant to create spreadable and tender cheeses
like quark, chevre, cream cheese and American style cottage cheese
- Graduating to curdled, aged and ripened cheese—mozzarella, feta, cheddar, gouda, and parmesan.
Whether you are a budding cheesemaker, avid do-it-yourselfer, foodie,
homesteader or cheese professional, this complete course in beginning
cheesemaking from one of North America’s foremost instructors is packed
with everything you need to create delicious, nourishing and beautiful
classic cheeses and other dairy delights.