Cheese Wax is especially made for coating cheeses. It helps prevent unwanted mold growth while retaining moisture in the aging cheese. This wax is pliable and will not become brittle as will pure paraffin wax.
CONTAINS: A formulation of paraffin and microcrystalline wax, food grade coloring
YIELD: One pound will wax approximately 12-20 cheeses when brushed on. If dipping method is used you will need at least a 5 pound block.
DISCOUNT: Buy 2 ore more 5lb blocks and save $2.00/block.
DIRECTIONS: It is safest to melt wax in a double boiler so that it is not subject to direct flame. Never leave melting wax unattended. Wax can explode at high temperatures. Heat wax to 210ºF. Wax can be brushed onto a dried and chilled cheese with a natural bristle brush (anything synthetic will melt), or you can very carefully dip your cheese into the wax pot one side at a time (it can get very slippery). Two thin coats are preferable to one thick coat. Be sure to fill up any air spaces as mold needs air to grow.
When you are ready to eat your cheese, the wax is simply peeled off and can be strained through Butter Muslin (U2) to be reused over and over again.
STORAGE: Store in cool place, away from any high heat. Will keep indefinitely.
WAXING STORE BOUGHT CHEESES: Wow, wax is flying off the shelf here! Many people are trying to prepare for a different type of future. Here is our short explanation of waxing store bought cheese.
Usually cheese bought in the grocery store is an already aged to perfection finished product. Waxing it in small pieces may cause some problems. If a cheese is not turned on a regular basis gravity will cause all the moisture to fall to the bottom causing a mushy mess under the wax. We would suggest you buy whole wheels or make your own cheeses and after waxing them, turn over at least once a week to prevent problems. We also suggest you air dry your cheese for 2-3 days prior to waxing.
After all cheese is a living breathing food, ENJOY!
Information on heating wax
Wax when heated will reach a point where vapors accumulate and may ignite with life threatening results.
A wax fire is extremely dangerous and cannot be put out with water.
never let your wax exceed 250F. never leave the wax unattended on the stove.
To be most successful at preventing mold, wax needs to reach a temp of 225-240F and cheeses should be dipped for 6 seconds. Temperature control is important, if the wax gets too hot it might reach it's flash point and catch on fire. Do not exceed 250F when heating your wax.
To limit the potential danger here, use a heavy pot with a candy thermometer, heat slowly and control the wax temps carefully. It may seem to take a long time to get the wax to go from solid to liquid, but once it has liquefied, the temperature will rise sharply. Make it a habit to constantly monitor the temperature of your wax. If that wax reaches the flash point, then the vapors produced are extremely flammable. The flash point of wax is typically above 300° F.